Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Plane Shift:Crossing Magic and D&D

Plane Shift is an ongoing series that I will be doing that continues the ideas given in Plane Shift: Zendikar and working toward playing D&D with ideas and flavor from Magic: the Gathering. I have said in the past that mixing ideas from the two is something I have done for years but with WOTC treading the waters on a crossover I decided to take the ideas I have had further to a fully realized world where ideas from both universes exist in the game.

Before I begin I want to say that this is not an attempt at making a Magic: the Gathering RPG. As much as I would love to see one I do not have the time or inclination to make one. Rather I am using the rules of D&D to build a game that has the flavor and 'fluff' of Magic included in it. While there may be some slight rules changes and definite 'conversions' of monsters, races and spells from Magic, this will all be done through the lens of D&D.

Of course, there are some challenges especially in the area of Planeswalkers and exactly how to handle mana in the game. I have looked at the first issue and have found a possible solution to this but the second is a bit tougher to handle as one would have to go through every race, class, spell and magic item in D&D to get this sorted. Something I really do not want to have to do.

As for the whole of the D&D universe there are many worlds and planes to explore and Planeswalking has been a part of the game since the earliest days. In fact, a game would never need to go to planes like Zendikar, Innistrad or Dominaria to have the Magic feel. Crossing from Oerth to Toril to Eberron can accomplish the same thing. Though visiting somewhere like Phyrexia or stopping an Eldrazi invasion on Toril would be fun and something I do want to explore.

Now, on to the series itself.

In this series I will begin to cover how make and define Planeswalkers for D&D, do some creation of spells like Lava Axe and such for D&D and even work on reskinning and making monsters whole cloth for D&D from Magic sources. I will make a 'home plane' that contains aspects of both Magic and D&D to serve as a jumping off point for the adventures.

In the end, I am hoping to help create a workable setting of sorts that combines both of my favorite games into one whole. As always questions, comments and constructive feedback are welcome.